Sunday, November 23, 2014

Ry's New Digs

After: Minecraft / Lego retreat
We've been working really hard on the room swap the last two weeks! It started with the inspiration for Ry's new room, picking out the colors, and ordering a new bed for him. Then the painting kicked into high gear. We said goodbye to the girls' old room...which was hard, but necessary. We disassembled their cribs and I found new homes for them where they will be well used and loved. Then we kept on painting. I had two friends visit during the past two weeks who lent a hand and great company during those long hours. Others advised on color selection and I'm so happy that I switched the shade of blue since the first was much too bright and pastel.
Before: The girls' room

Before: The girls' room

As always Ry and I had a lot of fun together. I taught him my painting techniques which were learned over many years and honed last year when I repainted the living room. He enjoyed doing measurements, rolling, and inspecting afterward (wearing his headlamp and using a magnifying glass) to find spots we had missed. He and his dad assembled the bed in one night.


Some of the special things we did were making a bookshelf and reading nook inside one of his closets and then freeing up his large bookshelf for lego car storage! That's one of the advantages of not caring about clothes and having a tiny wardrobe. His other closet is filled mostly with bins of legos. He doesn't even need a dresser so we put his socks and underwear into the bin sitting on top of Steve and Enderman's heads!

We still need a few finishing touches like getting a futon for all the friends that want to sleepover. And to summarize my dynamic with my son sometimes, when I recently confused Minecraft as being created by Lego, he looked at me as if I had grown a second head. I guess they are two totally separate things but he loves them both! He's slept in his new room the last two nights and mostly seems to enjoy having a place to get away from the girls so we're just relieved that the swap worked out well and that everyone has embraced the change! And I'm going to give myself a little break before really tackling the girls' room since I'm pretty tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment